These Better Hearing Journeys are success stories about regular people who have found greater quality of life through better hearing. Each person is unique, as are their lifestyle, needs, and challenges. We hope that these stories inspire you to start your journey to better hearing now!
Hearing aid user for 13 years
3 sets of hearing aids
- What were / are your hearing struggles and when were you first made aware of your hearing difficulties?
- Describe the hearing challenges that influenced you to look for a solution. Was there a specific event that motivated you to get your hearing tested?
- How long did it take you to book an appointment to get your hearing tested? Where did you go and why did youchoose that clinic?
- When you found out you had a hearing loss, what was your initial reaction/feeling associated with your hearing test results?
- After hearing aids were recommended to you, how long did it take you to get a set of hearing aids?
- After trying hearing aids, what were some challenges you experienced, and how did you manage them?
- How did you know the hearing aids you tried were right for you? How many follow up appointments did you have before you knew they were the right ones?
- The process of fitting and adapting to new hearing aids can be challenging. From the initial consultation to when you sign off on your trial period it can take from two months to a year, everyone is different.
Now that you have adapted to your hearing aids, what sounds and listening situations bring you joy? Is it birds singing? Children’s voices? Following the dialogue in a movie? Coffee with a friend? These are just some ideas for you to think about to help you pinpoint some of those sounds you hear now that you missed before you got your hearing aids.
I realized I had hearing difficulties after an accumulation of several struggles: I had to say, “Pardon me,” or “Would you please repeat that phrase?” too many times. I also had an unexplained fatigue level from the increased listening effort.
The most significant challenge, however, was struggling to hear my students’ questions clearly.
It took me a few months to book my initial appointment with the audiologist. Burnaby Hearing Centre came highly recommended by my physician’s office, and they booked the appointment for me.
I was relieved to find out that something was wrong that could be treated, but I didn’t want to have to resort to those big, unsightly hearing aids I was familiar with.
Once they‘d explained that I qualified for a small, fitted, inner-ear aid, I decided to be fit right away!
My aids were a perfect fit the first time, and I didn’t experience any difficulties or challenges. Select sounds appeared very loud at first, but that did subside in a few days.
I was able to wear the hearing aids all day from the beginning. I believe that to be the most significant factor in my success story. My hearing challenges at work were solved, and I did not have any more fatigue. I had one follow-up visit to make minor adjustments and to learn how to incorporate my remote accessory.
I love music and noticed that the quality of sound improved 100%. I was able to identity the subtle sounds of the small percussion instruments again. I had my first set of aids for seven years; I only went back to the clinic for cleanings and never needed any repairs. I recently replaced my first set with new technology from the Burnaby Hearing Centre.